Thursday 14 December 2017

When Hell Freezes Over - First Time Taking a Player's Role in Three Years

Now I've been interested in roleplaying a for about nine years now.  (I just turned 21 on December 13th).  About a third of that time was spent just familiarizing myself with the rules for D&D 4th Edition.  While another third of that time was spent playing with my regular D&D group in High School.  The remaining third was spent GMing various games for various short-lived groups.  Due to the fact that I'm the one most interested in Tabletop Roleplaying in my immediate area.  It often falls to me to fill the seat of Game Master.  A throne that sometimes becomes uncomfortable if sat on for too long.  What I'm talking about is GM burnout.  I've been running Mutants and Masterminds Single-Player game.  For the same player that I ran the Aki Cyberpunk 2020 Single-Player Campaign for.  Lately I'd been feeling uninspired, having to call off 3 to 4 different game sessions in as many weeks.  I finally decided to fess up and tell my player as such.  She did something that I never expected, she offered to run a campaign for me.  I used to think that the only time one of my players would assume the GM role, would be when Hell froze over.  (Given the type of weather up here in Canada it wouldn't surprise me if it has).

The Game

So of course I asked her what sort of game she wanted to run.  She asked what was a good system for beginner GMs.  What instantly sprang to mind was D&D, but that presented some problems.  As I'm not at all familiar with 5th Edition and despite my initial love for 4th Edition when I was 12.  It is unplayable.  I started thinking about what games had good generic systems.  Unfortunately I wasn't familiar enough with any of them at least not enough to coach a new GM through using them.  Finding myself up against a wall, I asked what sort of story she was thinking of running.  She said that she wanted to run a Battle Royale-esque game.  That's when it hit me.  Cyberpunk 2020, it was so simple just Stat + Skill + 1d10 = Success or Failure.  She was also already familiar with it.  So it was perfect.  We wasted no time and got right down to character creation a few hours later. 

Meet Tae Joon-Ho
We ended up rolling up Tae Joon-Ho an ethnic Korean and low-level Yakuza Amphetamine dealer.  His entire back story ended up coming out of Cyberpunk 2020's Lifepath System.  (The character kind of took on a life of it's own and the GM mentioned possibly changing the Battle Royale premise.  To have the story match the character rather than forcing the character to match the story).  

Some things you need to know about Joon-Ho.  He is all around friendly and charismatic guy (for a Yakuza anyway).  From a background full of poverty, saddled with a family debt.  He suffers from an Amphetamine addiction born from recreationally getting high on his own supply.  Has been accused of murder (of which he was acquitted a miracle in the Japanese legal system) and is overall something of a scumbag.  Which I personally think makes him a very interesting character to play.  You can find his character sheet here if you care to take a look.

This post is a little rough compared to my standard fare.  That's largely because I don't really know what the game is going to be about overall.  All I know is that we're going to be following this character the two of us created and that it's going to be set in Modern-Day Japan (rather than Cyberpunk Dystopic Japan).  I just thought I'd write a short post about it since I haven't written a post in quite some time.  As always be sure to +1, comment and follow.  Have a nice day and may you roll many crits.


No comments:

Post a Comment